, , , , , , ,

Last week was a very busy and exciting week for us! I am so happy that I finally have a chance to share our week with all of you. Here is a synopsis of our week…


We started the week with a nice relaxing Labor Day, except for our workout. The weather was a little bit iffy, so we didn’t end up working out until later in the afternoon. I hate putting a workout off because it makes it so much more difficult to get motivated to do it. Due to the crazy weather forecast, we ended up staying inside for our workout and makes our newest investment totally worth it…a trainer for our bikes. It is not my favorite way to get a workout in, but sometimes you just don’t have a choice, as mother nature is unpredictable most of the time. This is how I got my 12 mile bike ride in…

It wasn’t too bad and time actually when by pretty quick, but I would rather have been outside speeding down the trail!


After our mostly relaxing Labor Day, the rest of the week was far from relaxing! My Tuesday started at 5:30 am! I don’t mind getting up early to go for a run, but Jury Duty…that was a different story!

This was my first time ever having to go to Jury Duty, so I had no idea what to expect. I took a book with me, as I knew that I could be there a while, and wanted to make sure I had something to do. I got to the court-house by 7:30 am, checked-in, and waited. I ate a protein bar for breakfast, in the hopes that it would hold me over until I got home, since I didn’t bring a lunch. Luckily, I was in the first group that was called, so I didn’t have to wait very long…or so I thought. Three hours and many questions later, they finally decided which of us jurors they wanted for this particular case. I wasn’t one of them! Thank you lucky number 2! Even though I wasn’t chosen for this case, there was still a chance that they were going to need me for another case. So I braced myself for another wait in the jurors’ room, but when we got down there the room was empty and one of the ladies said they had all of the cases covered for the day. So, as long as we weren’t selected we were free to leave. Thank goodness because I was starving, didn’t bring a lunch, and it was 12:30 pm. I had survived my first Jury Duty and now know to bring a book AND lunch with me to Jury Duty, but I don’t have to worry about it for at least another 3 years.

On my way home from Jury Duty I stopped at Aldi and picked up a few groceries, as we really needed groceries, and I wasn’t going to be able to get to the commissary until Wednesday. I came home took care of groceries and grabbed some lunch before Rob called to tell me he was on his way home from work. I had just enough time to eat, let it settle for a few minutes, and get changed before he got home. As soon as he got home and changed, we headed out for a hot and humid 5 mile run! The run went well and we were able to get the miles in, despite a busy and long day. We came home, showered, ate dinner, I made a grocery list, and went to bed! We were exhausted!


Grocery day! I actually don’t mind going and getting groceries, especially when we are out of all my favorite foods! I ended up getting up later than I wanted to, so I got a late start and I hate feeling rushed. My plan was to get over to the commissary between 9 and 10 am, and I didn’t get up until 9 am when Rob called me. Oops! I guess I was tired! Regardless, I went and got groceries, which always takes longer than I plan on it taking. This is because I have to go up and down everything single aisle, so I don’t forget anything, even with a list!

I got home from getting groceries, got the put away, grabbed something to eat, and got ready to go run! No rest for the wicked! We really wanted to do our 8 mile run tonight, but it was just so darn hot and humid. It is September, right?! We weren’t so sure! So, we did our other 5 mile run that was schedule for this week instead and saved the 8 miler for Thursday morning. That humidity takes so much out of you, so the run wiped us out…again…and we hit the hay early!


I thought you said you had exciting news?! I know, I know…I am getting to it! Remember, good things come to those who wait! 🙂 Don’t worry don’t have to wait too much longer.

Thursday started with a 5:15 am wake-up call, but we HAD to get up and get our 8 mile run in this morning! Why? You will see in a few minutes. But first…this morning’s run was tough, as we only had about 12 hours rest in between Wednesday’s run, which was hot and humid. Despite the fact that we didn’t have much rest in between runs, it was a decent run and it was a little bit cooler at 6:00 in the morning. The humidity was still high, but the temperature was only in the mid-70’s and those mid-70’s felt great after running in the 90’s the last 2 days.

So, why did we HAVE to get our run in this morning?! We had tickets to go to the Yankees-Orioles game here in Baltimore! Yes, we are Yankee fans…I know…boo! Lol! I get it! But, in our defense, we are from New York (not the city) and have always been Yankee fans! Here were are before the game…

The Yankees ended up loosing 10-6, but it was a good game! The only way we get to see them play is when they come to Baltimore, so we were just happy to get to go to a game.

Before we went to the game, we also did something exciting! We officially registered for our first triathlon…

So excited! We will start officially training for it on or around October 29th, 2012! There is no turning back now! That’s all the exciting news for today!


Thank goodness Friday was a planned rest day! Yesterday was a looong day! We were up at 5:15 am and never got to bed until 12:45 am because we went to the baseball game. Waiting for the light-rail afterwards, with 40,000 + people at the game, takes a while.

Anyway…I spent Friday making food! It was supposed to be a rest day, and making food definitely is not resting, but it needed to be done! I didn’t want to have to worry about making dinner over the weekend, especially with our long run on Saturday. I started by making peanut butter…

All you need is a 16 oz jar of peanuts dry roasted salted or unsalted, I use unsalted because I try to limit my sodium intake and I LOVE peanut butter, and a food processor.  Put the peanuts in the food processor and turn it on for 5 minutes. Do not stir or add any oil or water! The natural oils from the peanuts is all it needs and you get this…

This is from three 16 oz jars of peanuts! This should last me a couple of weeks! 🙂

After the peanut butter, I made some garlic hummus. Here is what you need…

I added more garlic this time and it turned out so much better! I made a double batch (that garlic was for both) because I knew it would get eaten by the both of us! Put everything in the food processor until smooth and you are done…

So yummy and cheaper than the store-bought hummus with all the oil in it!

I made dinner for tonight, spaghetti, with left overs for after our run Saturday. I put chicken, potatoes, carrots, green beans, and celery in the crock-pot for Sunday with left over chicken for salads and/or wraps. I made chicken stir-fry for Tuesday night’s dinner as well. I forgot to take pictures of all of that stuff though. I was so busy in the kitchen that day, and I just wanted to make sure I had some time to sit and relax before Saturday’s run.


Another early morning! We were up at 5:45 am for our long run! 19 miles! Yes…19! Unfortunately, the weather was still yucky…hot and humid…and Rob woke up with a sore throat and all stuffed up, so we weren’t sure how the run was going to go. Thankfully, the first 12 miles were very overcast and semi-cool! But, by mile 12 the sun came out and it was HOT! Those last 7 miles were tough, but we pushed through and got the 19 miles in!

I was so thankful I took the time to make up all of that food yesterday because we were starving when we got back and got cleaned up. The spaghetti definitely hit the spot! And then we crashed, only to be woken up by tornado and thunderstorm warnings! The storm came quick, but we didn’t get hit too bad. Thank goodness!

The rest of Saturday was spent eating and relaxing!

Some more exciting news was also received Saturday, when I found out that my application for Girls On The Run was accepted and I will be volunteering/coaching with a local school. I am so excited to share my love of running with these girls! I will keep you posted!


What a long and busy week, but we made it to Sunday and all in one piece! Sunday was a rest day, since we had to change up our training schedule for the upcoming week because of some more exciting news! Rob and I will be spending Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week, and Monday and Wednesday of the following week pacing some Air Force members in preparation for their 5k next Friday. I am truly honored to be doing this for our service members! More on this in a future post!

I spent a good portion of the day reading and watching some TV! Finally a day to relax, recuperate , and rest!

Hope you all had a wonderful week and weekend!

Thanks for reading!

~Brooke & Rob