, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Wow! It has been busy around here. Let me start with last Saturday.

We started our day with our last double digit run before the Istanbul Marathon. It was only a 12 miler that day. It is funny how 12 miles doesn’t really seem like much after a couple of 20 milers.

It was a gorgeous day for a run.


It turned out to be a great last long run. It was 50 degrees when we started and 59 degrees by the end. Perfect running temperatures. We didn’t run with gloves or jackets to prepare for the marathon. It was a little chilly getting started, but we warmed up nicely by mile 2 and stayed that way for the rest of the run. We both felt strong throughout the run.

Here are our splits from Saturday’s run:

1— 9:34
2— 9:30
3— 9:28
4— 9:29
5– 10:22 (2 min. walk)
6— 9:31
7— 9:19
8— 9:19
9– 10:08 (2 min. walk)
10– 9:22
11– 9:27
12– 8:50

Total time: 1:54.  Average pace: 9:32. We are ready for Istanbul!

Rob thought it would be funny to give me bunny ears for our “after our run” photo.


All smiles after 12 miles is a good thing though!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Every once in a while, I do wear something other than workout clothes!


Saturday night was girl’s night out. I was excited for a night out because I really enjoy getting dressed up and haven’t had too many opportunities to do so recently.

The girls and I went to Gaga Manjero for dinner.


I forgot to take a picture of dinner, but I had a delicious chicken wrap with some steak fries.

One of the girls order this cheese plate.


Unfortunately, we got after our meal (instead of before it) so we weren’t too hungry by the time it was on the table. We did eat a little bit of it though. What we did eat of it, was really good.

Of course we got a group photo!


We went to a few more places after dinner. One was to a bar/restaurant. They had a band playing when we got there, so we did some dancing. It was so much fun that I never got home until 2 Sunday morning! That is a late night for me!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Even though I was still tired from our night out, we got up and around on Sunday because I still needed to go dress shopping for the ball, which is this Saturday. We went to Karum to look for a dress because I was told that they have a bunch of dress stores in this mall. They did, but I was pretty lucky and found the perfect dress in the first store I went into. I absolutely loved this dress. I tried it on and knew this was the dress that I wanted.

Nope, no pictures of the dress yet. You will have to wait until after the ball on Saturday! I will tell you this though. It is green! 🙂

Sunday was also the New York City Marathon! Since we don’t have TV right now, I didn’t get to watch any of the marathon. I did, however, check the results out online. Do you remember me saying in a previous post that Pamela Anderson was running the NYC Marathon? Well, guess what?! She did it!


You can read more about it here. I am happy that she was able to finish the marathon. I love the fact that she ran it for charity and raised almost $76,000. Congrats to her!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I started my Monday with some Les Mills Pump-Hard Core Abs because I knew that was going to be the only chance I had to get a workout in.

I also FINALLY started substitute teaching Monday afternoon. I was so nervous because I hadn’t been in the classroom in 5 months, but I felt right at home once I got there and was able to read over the lesson plans. I always feel better after I know what I am supposed to do.

I didn’t really have to do much teaching, which is a good thing because I was subbing for the Turkish teacher. I still don’t know a lot of Turkish, yet, but I am working on it. It was also my first time teaching middle and high school students. I think I was the most nervous about that part. The day went very well though!

Afterwards, I went and picked Rob up from work, took Dasha for a short walk, and headed back out the door. At girl’s night out on Saturday, we decided to get together to get our hair and nails done. So Monday night we all headed to the salon. It was nice being pampered for a few hours. Not to mention, I needed my hair cut really bad. I also had a manicure done, so my nails would look nice for the ball. Since there were 4 of us getting stuff done, I didn’t get home until late, but it was awesome to see how everyone’s hair turned out! We all looked fabulous!

The best part was my hair looked nice for work on Tuesday afternoon.


I subbed for the same teacher Tuesday afternoon. The only difference was I had 3rd grade instead of 2nd grade to start. Teaching overseas is a lot different than in the States. The class sizes are MUCH smaller. My biggest class was 15 students and that was the 3rd graders. It was so nice to be back in the classroom again! I forgot how much I missed it because I had been away from it for so long.

After work on Tuesday, I went to the track to run while I waited to pick Rob up from work.


The track is right across the street from the school, so there was no reason not to run. It is a nice 1/4 mile track. I was excited to run on the track, as I don’t get the chance to do so very often. It turned out to be a really good run, even with a side stitch for part of the 1st mile and all of the 2nd mile. Luckily, I was able to breathe through it and run it out.

It was a great day for a run outside. It was in the low to mid-60’s and overcast. Here are my splits from Tuesday’s run:

1— 8:10
2— 8:04
3— 7:56
4— 7:33

Total Time: 31:42.  Average Pace: 7:56.

I felt really good after my track run.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Today was a productive day, but not quite as busy as the last 4 days. Rob took today off so we could finish some shopping for him for the ball and take my dress to get altered. (I am short and always have to get my dresses altered, even with heels on!)

It is much easier to do your shopping around here during the week, as the traffic and shopping malls are super busy here on the weekends. We were successful and were back home by noon!

We were both starving so we grabbed some lunch, took Dasha for a short walk, and then got ready for our mid-week run.

Only a 3 mile run on the schedule for today, as we are in taper mode (more on that in another post). An easy 3 miler this cloudy afternoon. It took us almost as long to walk over to the path and back, as it did to run today. Crazy!

Here are our splits for today’s run:

1— 8:50
2— 8:53
3— 8:23

Total Time: 26:06  Average Pace: 8:42.

We are only 10 days away from running the Istanbul Marathon! We are so excited! 🙂

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last piece of exciting news…

I am OFFICIALLY registered for the Berlin Marathon!

“Dear Mrs. Brooke Olejniczak

Your registration has been processed…

You are registered as follows:
Name:                       Brooke Olejniczak
Event:                       41st BMW BERLIN MARATHON
Participation:              42 km Run”

I still can not believe I am going to be running in Berlin next September!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Did any of you run the NYC Marathon?

– Any other teachers out there?

– What was your best run this week? Why?

Thanks for reading!

~Brooke & Rob