, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

First of all, let me wish everyone a Happy New Year!


I know I am 16 days late, but better late than never, right?! I hope 2014 has been great for everyone so far. It has definitely been better for me than the end of 2013.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Before I get into that though, do you remember (I know it has been a while) me saying that I was going to run a 5k? Well, I did on December 7th. Granted it was a small race, but I ended up placing second female. Here are a couple of finishing photos.


The lady in pink was ahead of me the whole race and I finally started closing in on her during the 3rd mile. It wasn’t until the last few yards that I was able to finish strong and take 2nd female.


As you can see, it was a good race! I ended up finishing in 23:46. I was hoping for a little bit better of a time, but the course wasn’t the best…grass, dirt, hills, and track. It was worth it though and the shirt was cute!



_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I was doing so well with my blogging through the beginning of December. I was so proud of myself. Then things got busy. The first full week before Christmas I was subbing full-time in a first grade classroom. It was stressful for me because I had only been subbing a day or two here and there, so my body was not prepared to go full-time. The week definitely took a toll on me. By the end of the week I was very sick…light-headed, nauseous, cough, sore throat, and so tired. I went in to work on Friday and they ended up calling in another sub for me because I knew I wasn’t going to make it through the day. I came home and slept most of the day and then all night.

Saturday I wasn’t feeling much better, so I laid around all day, sleeping off and on. I tried to get fluids and some food in me as well, but that’s hard to do when you are sleeping most of the time. I went to bed with a horrible headache and feeling sick to my stomach, but figured I would be alright if I got some more sleep. I was wrong!

I woke up at 4 am Sunday morning to go to the bathroom and when I went to go back into the bedroom I ended up passing out. I fell and banged up my face pretty good.


Rob took me to the ER to make sure I didn’t need stitches or have a concussion. No stitches and no concussion, but I was in a lot of pain. We are almost certain that I broke my nose (even though the doctors didn’t say anything about it) because of the swelling, bruising and amount of pain I was in. If I didn’t break it, it was very badly bruised because I had a hard time breathing properly out of my nose for about 2 weeks. I was also very dehydrated, which is what caused me to pass out. I ended up with a horrible headache (all I wanted to do was sleep) for 4 days and a slight headache for 3 days after that. Seven days with a headache is not fun!

So, long story short, I was sick/recovering from my fall for 2 weeks! Not the way I planned on spending Christmas at all. I was finally able to and actually felt like working out on December 30th. I still wasn’t 100%, but I couldn’t stand to sit around any longer. I still couldn’t run because my nose was very tender, but biking and walking I could handle. Which brings me to 2014!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

January 1st I decided to try to run again. I didn’t care what my pace was that day because I was just happy to be running again. I was able to run without any pain in my nose. It hurt some afterwards from breathing in the cold air, but nothing like it had been.

Thankfully, I have made a full recovery from my fall. It definitely could have been much worse, but because I fell to my knees first, it saved my face from taking the entire brunt of the fall.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I am back to running and working out normally again and it feels GREAT! Not being able to do anything and all the holiday goodies really took a toll on me. It was time to get serious again!


I sat down and planned out dinners for all of January and workouts through March. I am running 4 days a week, doing core work 2-3 days a week, and Les Mills Pump 3 days a week. It took some time to plan everything out, but it definitely has saved me a lot of time as well. So worth it! Plus, I find that I stick to working out better if I write it down, instead of just deciding that day what I am going to do.

Today is day 11 and I am feeling so much better. I am eating healthier and working out. I have tons more energy, have been getting up earlier, and I am a lot happier. It is amazing how much eating healthy and working out changes how you feel.

Even though I am spending more time in the kitchen now than I had been, I still have time for myself because I have planned ahead and prepare meals in advance. This is what I did yesterday while enjoying a green smoothie (more on this in another blog!).


I had enough time (with working out) throughout the day to read my entire Women’s Running magazine from cover to cover. GREAT magazine, by the way! Lots of good information, some of which I will be sharing in an upcoming blog!

I have at least 3 new blogs that I am working on in the upcoming days. So keep your eyes open for them! If you are on Facebook, you can “like” my blog page A Day In The Life Of A Runner here for updates!

Hope you are having a great 2014!

Thanks for reading!

~Brooke & Rob